The Universe and Me

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

We could break the landspeed record

Movie: The World’s Fastest Indian. The first ten minutes or so I wondered if it was a guy film, what with the motorcycle, racing and speed talk and I actually asked myself if it was worth continuing to watch. But then he set off on his journey and it picked up. Way up. And became one of the most charming movies I’ve seen this year. Anthony Hopkins’ performance as affable New Zealander Burt Munro was largely responsible for that. Something that really struck me was how the film made people of that era (the sixties) act so different from the way people behave today. I couldn’t help thinking that these days Burt would have been murdered ten minutes after he stepped off the plane in Los Angeles. Fear or something seems to have turned people into angry killing machines. Back then people seemed kinder and willing to help a stranger because it was the right thing to do. Also, Munro’s spirited character made it easy to help him. I got a kick out of the concern for his leg being burned and he said that’s okay, I’ve got another one. A very feel-good movie about achieving one’s dream. Too much overlooked. Drop by your nearest Blockbuster of library and find this gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home