The Universe and Me

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

You know I love you still

Yesterday a brother-in-law once again stated that he thought there were no good songs on the Beatles "White Album." I scoffed aloud & he challenged me to name one & the first one I thought of was "Birthday." Unfortunately, he didn't give me time to name others. IMO nearly every song on the double album is good. Here's a list of what I consider exceptional:

  • Back In The USSR-- The answer to the Beach Boys' "California Girls" and Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA."
  • Dear Prudence-- Written for Mia Farrow's sister Prudence.
  • Glass Onion-- Playfully refers to a bunch of other Beatles songs: Strawberry Fields Forever; There's A Place; Within You, Without You; I Am The Walrus; Lady Madonna; The Fool On The Hill; Fixing A Hole. Lennon wanted Badfinger to use the name Glass Onion. They chose Badfinger after "Badfinger Boogie," the original/working title of "With a Little Help from my Friends." Perhaps they'd have had better luck with Glass Onion.
  • Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da -- I was very young when it was released & it was easy & fun to sing with.
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps-- I became tired of this one because it was played & covered to death, but the brilliance remains.
  • Martha My Dear-- Written about Paul's sheepdog, or Jane Asher. Jane probably hopes it was the dog.
  • I'm So Tired-- Me too
  • Blackbird-- Musically inspired from a Bach piece, written for Black women.
  • Piggies-- humorous social satire from Harrison.
  • I Will -- Beautiful McCartney love song.
  • Julia -- Dedicated to John's late mother and Yoko.
  • Birthday -- Paul rocks
  • Yer Blues -- Those were my teen years.
  • Mother Nature's Son -- I find myself humming this all the time.
  • Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey -- John rocks
  • Helter Skelter -- Paul rocks again. Who knew.
  • Long Long Long -- Beautiful love song (to God) by George.
  • Revolution 1 -- I prefer the faster single version, but this is excellent too.
  • Cry Baby Cry - Although the final song, "Good night" was written as a lullabye, this one fits in my mind better. I hum this a lot too. And have been to Kircaldy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home