The Universe and Me

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Never break the chain

It was interesting re-watching Simon & Garfunkel's concert in New York City from around 30 years ago. Among many other things I noticed, the duo coincidentally happened to mention all three of my cats by name during this show: May, she will stay and Hop on the bus, Gus, and Wake up little Susie. Shortly after watching this concert, Jeopardy had an answer about a song of theirs that used tire chains. I thought "Bridge Over Trouble Water" used drums and cymbals, etc. when it builds to a crescendo. But that was the correct question. In listening to it, expecting the sorts of chains ghosts might be rattling, I didn't hear chains, so I had to look up where it really was. Drummer Hal Blaine said, “The image I got when I heard the song was a black man in a chain gang. So I went out to my car, got my chains from my snow tires, and overdubbed the ending section. I was on my knees in front of the snare, pulling the tire chains across the head, and slapping them down on two and four. It created a cool after-beat."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home