The Universe and Me

Sunday, February 28, 2016

What can I give you in return?

Movie: Bridge of Spies. You can always count on Tom Hanks to give a solid performance. Because of the serious subject matter, this didn't leap off the screen like the "thriller" the box proclaimed it to be. They seemed to enlist the talents of the Coen Brothers to make it more exciting but the material they added was fiction so that rather messed with the historical accuracy they might have wanted to keep. Mentioning Abel's accent a couple times as being not Russian but rather English was strange because it was so obviously Scottish. All they had to do was say he was born in Northern England but attended school in Scotland. Maybe because the world was bigger then, Americans didn't know what a Scottish accent sounded like? Pre-Lulu and everything. I don't know. One thing that was really noticeable was Donovan calling home from overseas with what appeared to be a quarter or two. When I was in Scotland in the late 1980s, I thought about calling home but knew I would need a lot more coins than I had in my pockets and I had a lot of coins in my pockets. The photographers flashbulbs really brought one back to a different time (although personally I wasn't actually in that time.) Seeing them on the floor made me wonder whose job it was to clean them up. Hello to Bono's daughter Eve Hewson who plays Donovan's elder daughter. And Sister Bernadette who sure looked like the wife but wasn't
ETA: Congratulations to Mark Rylance for winning best supporting actor at the Oscars. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home