The Universe and Me

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

I laughed at all of your jokes

As Downton Abbey closes permanently, let's look back on some wonderful quotes from my favorite character, Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham:

  • "No Englishman would dream of dying in someone else's house."
  • "I couldn't have electricity in the house, I wouldn't sleep a wink. All those vapors floating about."
  • “First electricity, now telephones. Sometimes I feel as if I’m living in an H.G. Wells novel.”
  • “Everyone goes down the aisle with half the story hidden.”
  • “I don’t dislike him, I just don’t like him. Which is quite different.”
  • “I wonder your halo doesn’t grow heavy. It must be like wearing a tiara around the clock.”
  • “We can’t have him assassinated. I suppose.”
  • "Vulgarity is no substitute for wit".
  • "All this endless thinking. It's very overrated"
  •  "You must know by now, I never answer any question more incriminating than whether I need a new rug."
  • “My dear. A lack of compassion can be as vulgar as an excess of tears.”
  • "At my age, one must ration one's excitement."
  •  "You are a woman with a brain and reasonable ability. Stop whining and find something to do." 
  • "It always seemed rather dark when my mother-in-law lived here; but then, she made everything rather dark." 
  • "I have plenty of friends I don't like."
  • "That is the thing about nature, there's so *much* of it."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home