The Universe and Me

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Raindrops keep falling

When people ask me what my all-time favourite movie is and I say Brazil, they laugh. A curious reaction. Although I find the ending too violent, it’s the concepts that I find intriguing and sometimes familiar (in a less dramatic way) to my life. Being: the governmental controls and media propaganda, the bureaucratic red tape and endless paperwork, how society is driven by technology filled with glitches, office politics and the dehumanization of office workers, the dehumanization of everyone, ineptitude at all levels, paranoia, an over importance of appearances. These are the aspects of the movie that often make me proclaim (especially when something breaks down at my apartment and I begin to fear what’s in the pipes and behind the walls) “I’m living in Brazil!”

My second favourite movie of all time is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. At surface glance, I’d guess it’s the witty banter between the two characters, bringing their characters depth in endless chase scenes. But there’s more to it than the jokes. There’s the cinematography of the gorgeous Western landscapes. There’s the undeniable handsomeness of Newman and Redford. There’s the hats. But also there’s a camaraderie and friendship the screenplay gives the characters that is something I think most of us are looking for in life, whether it be through friends or spouses. I don’t remember when I first saw this movie, but I make a point of watching it every few years and since I was a kid, have quoted various lines from it. Here are some that I especially appreciate:

Every day you get older, that’s a law.
Like I’ve been telling you, over the hill.
What’s Bolivia?
When I say Bolivia, you just think California.
You just keep thinking Butch, that’s what you’re good at.
Boy, I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.
If I’m dead, kill him. –Love to.
I always thought I’d grow up to be a hero. –Well, it’s too late now.
Meet the future!
Don’t ever hit your mother with a shovel. It leaves a dull impression on her mind.
We got no time for this.
Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
What’s the matter with those guys?
I think we lost ‘em. Do you think we lost ‘em? –No. –Neither do I.
I don’t know where we’ve been and I’ve just been there.
You really think so? – I will if you will.
I couldn’t do that. Could you do that? How can they do that? Who are those guys?
They could surrender to us, but I wouldn’t count on it.
The next time I say let’s go someplace like Bolivia, let’s go someplace like Bolivia. –Next time!
I have to and I’m not gonna.
I can’t swim. –Are you crazy? The fall’ll probably kill you.
You get a lot more for your money in Bolivia. – What could they have that you could want to buy?
This might be the garden spot of the whole country. People might travel for hundreds of miles just to see this spot where we’re standing now.
A few dark clouds appear on your horizon, you just go all to pieces, don’t you?
I’m better when I move.
Morons! I’ve got morons on my team.
That’s what happens when you live 10 years alone in Bolivia, you get colourful.
In my opinion, there are snakes in the jungle.
This place gets no more of my business.
Is that what you call giving cover?
I figured secretly you wanted to know, so I told you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home