The Universe and Me

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Enter and please sign in

My internet gripe of the week (or lifetime) is that too many sites require registration. I start to avoid sites where I have to enter my user name and password every time I visit. I have to sign in to get on the internet. If I want to check my mail on the server to delete any spam, and I do, I have to sign in again. To post here on my blog, I have to sign in. To download music from the music service I pay for, I have to sign in. To listen to music I’ve already downloaded from this service in past months, I have to sign in for each song I play. The game Nation States seemed like a cool idea until I got sick of signing in every time I wanted to work on building my country. Now my people are being neglected! To use Yahoo messenger, I have to sign in. To pick up my Yahoo mail, I have to sign in. It seems half the articles at The Scotsman require registration. I have yet to want to read them that bad. There are message boards that require registration. To view the forum at my college alumni site, I had to register and then wait eight days for them to send me a confirmation e-mail. Once I could log in, it turns out there’s not much of anything there and I’m sorry I bothered. I’ll probably never visit again. Or if I do, it will be a year from now when I’ve completely forgotten what user name and password I used. I’ve been meaning to sign up for an account where my niece has her blog, so I can post on it, but can’t seem to force myself to do it. On the upside, the Tenderfoot CD “Without Gravity” arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:09 AM, August 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At the Internet Movie Database you now have to register to read viewers comments. Crazy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home