The Universe and Me

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Funny as a crutch

I mentioned in a previous post how, in the internet personals, men claim they’re looking for someone fun and that pretty much left me out as it’s been a few decades since anyone described me as fun. Funny, yes. The consensus seems to be that although I haven’t much else left, at least I haven’t lost my sense of humour. A recent study at McMaster University (oh those wacky Canadians!) suggests I shouldn’t take this as a compliment. According to this study, men are looking for a partner who laughs at and appreciates their jokes, not one who makes the jokes. I’ve always gravitated towards comedy. If given a choice between watching a sitcom or a drama, I’ll choose the sitcom. But I’m also very philosophical and retrospective, which means I don’t lol much. Like at all. I might chuckle once or twice a week. That’s about it. So unless you’re Victor Meldrew and have just mistaken the neighbour’s dachshund for a cordless phone, I’m not going to laugh at you.
Here are the main points of the study:

  • Women want a man who is a humour generator, while men seek a humour appreciator.
  • To a woman, “sense of humour” means someone who makes her laugh. To a man, a sense of humour means someone who appreciates his jokes.
  • Women choose men who produce humour 62% of the time. Men choose women who appreciate their humour 65% of the time.
  • Men use humour to compete. Women use humour to bond.
  • A man thinks a woman is interested in him if she laughs at his jokes.
  • The more a girl giggles at a man, the more he wants to date her.
  • If a man laughs at a woman, it’s unrelated to whether he’s interested in her or not.
  • Men feel threatened by funny women.
  • Men who appreciate their partner's humour are usually more secure, mature and educated than the average guy.
  • When it comes to friendships, men like to be around women who produce humour. When it comes to relationships, they only like women who laugh at their jokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home