The Universe and Me

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Good morning starshine...the earth says hello!

Movie: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If there was a flaw, I missed it. Everyone had said it was so different from the Willy Wonka film that I expected totally different scenes and plots, but I found it very true to the original. (Unless it’s been so long since I’ve seen the first one that I don’t remember it well enough.) The main difference is Wonka’s portrayal and here I think Johnny Depp made the right decision. Rather than trying to copy Gene Wilder’s version, which would have proved impossible, he made Wonka his own. The little cultural references from the past few decades, some of them so quick or just a second on the screen, were marvelously funny. Was that The Vicar of Dibley’s Letitia as a grandmother to Charlie Bucket (not pronounced Bouquet and probably not related to Hyacinth, at least not during daylight hours)? Line I inexplicably liked most: “I can’t have a blueberry as a daughter!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home