The Universe and Me

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

At the top of the dial

Last week Blogcritics had an article about what whoever wrote it considered some of the best last lines of songs. Before I read the list, the first one that popped in my poor brain was The Beatles song, “The End” which was mentioned. Without spending three weeks going through my entire record collection’s liner notes, here’s some I like:

“Creeque Alley” – Mamas and the Papas – “And California dreamin’ is becoming a reality.
“Subterranean Homesick Blues” – Bob Dylan – “The pump don’t work ‘cause the vandals took the handles.”
“My Old School” – Steely Dan – “I can’t seem to get to you through the U.S. mail.”
“Hotel California” – Eagles – “You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.”
“Supper’s Ready” – Genesis – “The Lord of Lords, King of Kings, has returned to lead his children home to take them to the New Jerusalem.”
“Vatnið” – Sálin – “Alltaf beið öldungurinn og siðan dó maðurinn.”
“Good Weather for Airstrikes” – Sigur Rós – “En það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur.”
“White, Discussion” – Live – “Look where all this talking got us, baby.”
“London Calling” – Clash – “I never felt so much like…like…”
“Thunder Road” – Bruce Springsteen – “It’s a town for losers, I’m pulling out of here to win.”
“Whiter Shade of Pale” – Procol Harum – “Although my eyes were open, they might just as well’ve been closed.”
“Crystal Ship” – The Doors – “When we get back, I’ll drop a line.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home