The Universe and Me

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The downside of pathetic

Movie: The Upside of Anger. If there was one, I didn’t see it. Call me confused at the reviewers on Amazon who think this is one of the best movies of the year. Cinematically a pretty bad year, then. I’m with the person who described it as “choppy, often dull.” I’m sure it didn’t help that I fell asleep after about ten minutes and had to backtrack. Not a very exciting plot. A woman whose husband disappears assumes he’s run off with his Swedish secretary so she becomes bitter, critical of her daughters, drinks too much and doesn’t even deserve hack actor Kevin Costner. “Make a left at pathetic” is right. The actors all did okay. Even Costner was tolerable. There just wasn’t anything intriguing in the script until the misplaced end reveal about the missing husband. And who names their daughter Popeye? That’s not acceptable even on a soap opera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home