The Universe and Me

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Thus Quoth Romeo

From the Whatever Happened To Files. The Internet Movie Database has only a few listings for actor Leonard Whiting. It appears a few years after filming Romeo & Juliet he disappeared. At least off the movie scene. He has been involved in some theatrical productions and teaching, has married a couple times and produced two daughters. Currently lives in Kentish Town in London by all reports. Has a screenplay he’d like to see filmed. What I was surprised to learn was his involvement on the Alan Parsons Project 1976 album Tales of Mystery & Imagination, the band’s tribute to Edgar Allan Poe. Especially because it concerns one of my favourite songs of theirs, “The Raven.” He sings on the record. He also does narration on another of the album's songs. Whiting has changed a bit since 1968, but who hasn’t (with the possible exception of Olivia Hussey)? Here are the lyrics to “The Raven” written by Parsons and Eric Woolfson.

The Raven

The clock struck midnight
And through my sleeping
I heard a tapping at my door
I looked but nothing lay in the darkness
And so I turned inside once more
To my amazement
There stood a raven
Whose shadow hung above my door
Then through the silence
It spoke that one word
that I shall hear forever more
Nevermore
Thus quoth the raven, nevermore
And still the raven remains in my room
No matter how much I implore
No words can soothe him
No prayer remove him
And I must hear for evermore
Quoth the raven, nevermore
Thus quoth the raven
Nevermore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home