The Universe and Me

Monday, May 16, 2005

The long and winding Beatles list

In the back of the most recent biography of Douglas Adams titled Wish You Were Here by Nick Webb, there is a list of what Adams considered the top 20 Beatles songs. If memory serves right, #1 was “The Long and Winding Road.” I don’t know if I could make a list of what I considered the best of their songs, but I will here make a list of their songs that I like the most. These are probably in order of release date, not by preference.

  • Tell me why
  • She's a woman (for the D7 chord)
  • Help (interestingly, this and the 4 after are all from the Help album)
  • The night before
  • You've got to hide your love away
  • Another girl
  • I need you (by George Harrison)
  • Paperback writer
  • I am the walrus (for mentioning King Lear, as does the one above this, and for being clever)
  • Revolution (the fast version that they released as a single where Paul is ripping out his vocal chords on the opening scream)
  • Back in the USSR
  • Birthday
  • Hey bulldog (“if you’re lonely you can talk to me!”)
  • Don’t let me down
  • The Ballad of John & Yoko
  • Come together (for that sound just after the chopped off word “shot” which sounds like a rotary phone being dialed – that sound amazed me as a child when the song was released)
  • Something (also by George Harrison)
  • Polythene Pam
  • Her majesty (so short but so sweet)
  • Two of us

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home