The Universe and Me

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Sea Inside

Movie: The Sea Inside. 2004 winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. I found myself wondering if it won only because of its subject matter, a hot news topic, or if I wasn’t understanding what it was trying to convey or if it wasn’t properly conveying what it was trying to convey. I could have understood someone who was in intense pain and suffering for thirty years wanting to have an end to it, but this guy wasn’t in any physical pain that he mentioned and seemed to be quite a cheery fellow. Very pleasant, intelligent, kind to his family and friends, able to publish books. Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside, perhaps. I just didn’t see the severe emotional suffering that must have been there. He merely seemed tired of or bored with his situation. And it didn’t make sense to me why he refused to go anywhere or use a wheelchair. I wouldn’t have voted for this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home