The Universe and Me

Saturday, April 30, 2005

A little Biggi

Radio 2 has been playing this song I really like for the past few weeks but I couldn’t figure out who the artist was. Kept looking at their online playlist. No, nothing there seemed right. It’s definitely an Icelandic band singing in English. The lead singer’s voice and accent are very similar to the singer from the Ice band Maus. They’ve been around since 1993, have made five albums. Their last album Musick from 2003 was super fabulous. But the style of music and the singer’s voice are slightly different. Maus started as a punkish band, heavily influenced by The Cure, and progressed into more modern rock. The music of this mystery song is more pop. In fact, it reminds me a lot of Wilco’s “Hummingbird” song. Somewhat Beatlesque in its simplicity, musically and lyrically. Not Maus’s style which is apparently “Nordic vocals hovering over straight guitar figures and incessant drum tracks.” Carolyn wondered if Maus’s lead singer has a solo album out. So I found out his name is Birgir Örn Steinarsson or Biggi for short and he will soon have a solo project released under the name Bigital, “like digital, only bigger.” But the wonderful samples Biggi has kindly posted on his webpage are not the song I was looking for either. A couple of the times Hrafnhildur played Ye Mystery Song, I scribbled down some of its lyrics and Googled them, my last resort for when I can’t understand what Hrafn’s just announced, but nothing turned up. Yesterday I went back to Radio 2’s playlist and ah ha! solved the mystery and will probably blog about it tomorrow or thereabouts.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home