The Universe and Me

Sunday, April 24, 2005

SF in Music

I stumbled on the lengthy wepage SF References in Music the other day. The list seems to be less, "this song is based on this book" and more "this song has science fiction or mythological or supernatural themes or concepts." Thought I'd create a list from the list of songs I like or once liked. (Some music from the 80s is rather dated now and one's tastes do change.)

  • Amos, Tori: She's always been way out there, so any of her songs might apply.
  • Blue Oyster Cult: "Godzilla," as in "there goes Tokyo!"
  • Brickell, Edie and the New Bohemians: "Ghost of a Dog"
  • Bush, Kate: again, pick a song. "Breathing" "Cloudbusting" and its accompanying video with Donald Sutherland. "Hammer Horror" "Hello Earth"
  • Cheap Trick: "Dream Police" - one of Phyllis's fav's, always makes me think of her singing along.
  • Clash, the: "London Calling"
  • Costello, Elvis: "Waiting for the End of the World"
  • Emerson, Lake, & Palmer: "Karn Evil 9"
  • Gabriel, Peter: "Here Comes the Flood" and "Solsbury Hill"
  • Genesis: So many. "Watcher of the Skies" "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" (Hello Triffids!), "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" lp, "Get 'em Out by Friday" "The Knife" "The Musical Box" "The Fountain of Salmacis" "Supper's Ready" "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" "Cinema Show" "Squonk"
  • Gowan, Larry: "Strange Animal" - nice video for that song they used to play on CBC's "Good Rockin' Tonight"
  • Hackett, Steve: "Narnia"
  • Jethro Tull: I don't know Ian & band as well as my nephew Kevin, but I'll leave them in because I always liked them.
  • Joel, Billy: "Miami 2017" "We Didn't Start the Fire" (mentions "Stranger in a Strange Land")
  • John, Elton: "Rocket Man" "I've Seen the Saucers"
  • Journey: "Wheel in the Sky"
  • Kansas: "Point of Know Return"
  • Kayak: "Journey Through Time" "Daphne" "Phantom of the Night"
  • King Crimson: "Epitaph" - one of the classrooms at school had a chair I used to sit in which someone (not me, although I did once write out the lyrics to "I married a martian" on a chair) wrote these lyrics on.
  • Klaatu: "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" "Little Neutrino"
  • Led Zeppelin: "No Quarter" (speculation it's about Aragorn's trek through "The Paths of the Dead") "The Battle of Evermore" "Ramble On" "Misty Mountain Hop" "Stairway to Heaven" "Kashmir"
  • Manhattan Transfer: "Twilight Zone" - at college this gal who roommed across the hall from me Junior year used to play this song over and over and definitely over.
  • Marillion: "Grendel" (surely there must be others? Dan, where are you?)
  • Pink Floyd: "Set the Controls" "Obscured by Clouds" "Wish You Were Here"
  • Police: "Synchronicity II" "Synchronicity" "Wrapped Around Your Finger"
  • Prism: "Take Me to the Kaptain"
  • Queen: "Thirty-Nine" "Don't stop me now"
  • Renaissance: anything
  • Rush ; "2112" "Red Barchetta" "Rivendell" "Red Sector A" "Xanadu"
  • Saga: I have one of their albums but don't remember any of it.
  • Shonen Knife: "Riding on the Rocket" "I am a Cat"
  • Sparks: "Here in Heaven"
  • Styx: "Mr. Roboto" "Come Sail Away" "Lords of the Ring" may be Tolkien-derived.
  • Sugarcubes: "Speed Is The Key" "Planet" (see title of blog) "A Day Called Zero" and others. "Chihuahua" has Einar babbling about Aliens.
  • Supertramp: "Fools Overture" "Crime of the Century"
  • Talking Heads: "Swamp" anyone? probably not
  • Wings: "Nineteen Eighty-Five" - I have that 45 single! "Magneto and the Titanium Man" "Venus and Mars"
  • Yankovic, Weird Al: "I Think I'm a Clone Now" "Yoda"
  • Yes: "Starship Trooper" and the entire album "Close to the Edge"
  • Young, Neil: "After the Gold Rush"
  • Zevon, Warren: "Werewolves of London" - and even though the Sugarcubes have already represented Iceland, I'll add two more:
  • Stuðmenn: Úfó
  • Kolrassa krókríðand: Ikarus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home